Print this articleEmail to a friendCogswell's Grant- Essex
A mecca for lovers of American folk art, Cogswell’s Grant was the summer home of renowned collectors Bertram K. and Nina Fletcher Little. The colonial-era farmhouse on the property serves as a rich backdrop for their celebrated collection, assembled over a period of nearly sixty years. Though known for their meticulous research, the Littles decorated with an eye for visual delight rather than historic accuracy, and the result is a house rich in atmosphere and crowded with works of strong, even quirky character.
The Littles purchased this 165-acre property overlooking the Essex River in 1937 and carefully restored the 1728 farmhouse, preserving original finishes and documenting their work through photographs. Today, the rooms are overflowing with “country arts” including folk art portraits, painted furniture, redware, hooked rugs, weathervanes, and decoys. Everything is arranged just as the family lived with it and shared it with their friends and fellow collectors.
Mr. and Mrs. Little were both prominent members of collector’s clubs and historical societies, and Mrs. Little authored countless books, articles, and exhibition catalogues. She is now recognized as one of the most important scholars in the field of American folk art.
Cogswell’s Grant was the perfect setting for the Littles' antiques, but was also important as a family retreat and working farm where they relaxed and entertained. Today it is one of the only places where it is possible to visit such a collection in the home for which it was collected.Visit Cogswell’s Grant
Open Wednesday – Sunday, June 1 – October 15
11:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Tours on the hour. Last tour at 4:00 p.m.
Closed July 4Grounds open dawn till dusk, year round
Free for Historic New England members and Essex residents
Cogswell’s Grant60 Spring StreetEssex, Mass. 01929Telephone: 978-768-3632
Parking: There is ample free parking at the site.