Built in 1821 to help mariners find their way into Gloucester’s inner harbor, Ten Pound Light can be seen from many points along the waterfront.
The present conical cast-iron tower replaced the original stone tower in 1881. Resting on a brick foundation, the tower is 30 feet tall and topped with a fifth-order lantern. Other associated buildings include a granite oil house (1821) and a keeper’s dwelling. A U.S. Fish Hatchery was constructed on the island in 1889 and abandoned in 1954. In order to uphold Prohibition laws, the U.S. Coast Guard established an air station on the island in 1925. Read more about the lighthouse on the National Parks and Recreation website.